Age of folderol

December 17th, 2008 · 9 Comments · Critical thinking

J.B. Handley is the media’s go-to guy for crazy quotes, or what editors like to call “balance”. By his own estimate, Handley, who founded the radical anti-vaccine group Generation Rescue, has spoken with a hundred or more reporters over the years, and his half-baked conspiracy theories and junk science rarely disappoint. A Handley quote is to a dull public health story what an overturned semi-tractor trailer is to a monotonous road trip.

But Handley met his match last Friday in New York Times senior medical reporter Donald McNeil, a 32-year vet of the Grey Lady. McNeil has reviewed plays, written about the environment, and filed stories from 49 countries. He’s also witnessed the terrible price of contagion during his travels in the Third World: AIDS, malaria, avian flu, SARS, mad cow disease and other killers. Clearly, this man has been around the block a few times.

McNeil was writing an article about Autism’s False Prophets, Dr. Paul Offit’s page-turner about the phony autism cure industry and the hucksters who keep it viable, and the book’s impact on the debate over the nation’s vaccine program. He wanted a quote from Handley, who rates a mention or two in Offit’s book. We’ll let J.B. take it from here:

The interview began…Donald McNeil was a pleasant guy from the outset, clear and straightforward in his goals. He mentioned Offit’s book, that there was certainly some controversy, and what did I think about it all.

I think my initial answer surprised him. To paraphrase myself I said:

“Offit’s book is a disappointment. For something like autism, where none of our health authorities have any explanation of cause or cure, we have a whole community of doctors and parents who are actually recovering children. And, without ever treating an autistic child, interviewing a DAN! doctor who treats them, or exploring the several hundred case reports of complete recovery and thousands of stories of improvement, without ever looking into any of this, Offit says its all bullshit. I just don’t understand how someone who considers themselves a doctor could do that.”

And here is what I am going to tell you about Donald McNeil: he was completely and utterly clueless. He’d never heard kids actually recover. He’d never heard of cases of children, now neurotypical, with detailed medical records and case reports charting their recovery. He didn’t know tens of thousands of kids are truly recovering from autism and being treated by doctors with medical degrees just like Offit.

Bluster and misdirection are a favorite tactics of Handley and other anti-vaccine activists, and they usually work on reporters who are new to covering autism, and imagine that yes, there could be thousands of children who have been cured of autism spectrum disorders. Somehow I don’t think McNeil was having any of it.

The conversation continued. He said Offit has a simple position on our community: greedy lawyers and opportunistic doctors prey on desperate parents, and that’s all we are. What did I think of that?

I told him Vaccine Court lawyers are paid by the hour, as far as I knew, so hard to fathom they are chasing a great fortune. On the quack doctor side, I took him through my own neighborhood. Six kids with ASD at my son’s school. Three completely recovered, all from the same doctor. Doctors don’t stay in business very long without results, and I have seen some great results. Has he ever looked? Of course he hasn’t. He had no idea.

That’s not much of a defense. Vaccine court lawyers do indeed bill by the hour, and are paid if they win or lose, no matter how improbable their claims. Kathleen Seidel has covered their abuses well, and gives an eye-opening overview of the process here.

On the quack doctor side, the overwhelming evidence, gleaned by researchers around the world over several decades, says that autism currently has no cure, and is not associated with vaccines. But J.B. Handley, the P.T. Barnum of confirmation bias, will have none of that.

We went on to the next topic, which was probably my favorite. I took him to task on the sweeping statements he and his colleagues make that the science proves “vaccines don’t cause autism.” I took him through how every single study Offit and others cite only compare vaccinated kids to other vaccinated kids… I explained how important it is to look at unvaccinated kids, something people like Offit never advocate doing.

There’s a reason that best and brightest vaccine researchers don’t advocate comparing vaccinated kids to unvaccinated – there aren’t enough totally unvaccinated kids in the US to get a meaningful result, and it’s not necessary.  Handley of course buys the urban myth that the Amish don’t vaccinate – his editor at the Age of Autism, Dan Olmsted, fabricated that story three years ago.

But none of this matters to Handley and his posse. As long as he can spoonfeed “balance” to the media, Handley will be cooking up his own reality, and stewing in his own juice.

• 1 Clay // Dec 17, 2008 at 10:44 pm

How many years until these clowns admit they were wrong? Five, ten? Doesn’t matter, as they will Have to admit it, eventually. I hope I live to see it.

• 2 isles // Dec 18, 2008 at 7:22 am

“A Handley quote is to a dull public health story what an overturned semi-tractor trailer is to a monotonous road trip.”

I love this! Someday somebody’s going to have to put together a “best of J.B. Handley” list.

• 3 Orac // Dec 18, 2008 at 11:27 am

Actually, J.B. has shown up over at my place. I don’t have time to give him the response he “deserves” right now. That will have to wait until tonight or tomorrow. However, he’s pulling the old “there is no single study that shows that vaccines do not cause autism” crap and citing the political hack turned crank Bernadine Healy. Check it out:

• 4 Age of Autism–always good for unintentional comedy « Skepacabra // Dec 18, 2008 at 11:42 pm

[...] Age Of Ignorance has discussed it as has Autism News Beat. Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)News From Around The Blogosphere 9.13.08Malaria: [...]

• 5 TannersDad // Dec 20, 2008 at 7:37 am

I have volunteered to be moderator and host for the Obama-Biden Tansition Project Autism Health Care Community Discussion. There is a very limited time to make and impact on this discussion. I came up with hosting a Autism Health Twitter day to have a discussion with all stakeholders. We will have a great day because the word is out. You could help us make it a impactful day to parents by helping us get the word out. Please if you could post anything about Autism and Healthcare then mention Autism Health Care twitter day on Dec 23 all day. I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Press Release:
    Autism and Healthcare twitter day December 23rd all day #HHS Tom Daschle invited Tanners Dad / Tim Welsh will be the Autism / Healthcare Community Discussion Host and Moderator. Sign onto twitter. Search for #HHS and post your comments and answers to questions.

No prizes no games no tinsel Just a conversation for families fighting for children with Autism. Be There Tues Dec 23 ALL DAY Obama wants to know.

Regards,
    Tim
    TimWelsh/TannersDad
    Autism Advocate

• 6 HCN // Dec 20, 2008 at 5:03 pm

Tanner’s Dad has a reputation:

• 7 TannersDad // Dec 21, 2008 at 5:37 am

In the interest of Honesty your statements are hurtful. This should be a day to do exactly what what Kristina says…

focus on the need for education, schools, respite, long-term needs like housing and employment, and, too, insurance and health care, and the day to day needs of individuals.

Bonnie Autism Hurts is not a vaccine reference. I see my son in pain and frustration with no help. I pray for one day we can get along. On the first Autism Twitter day I wrote to others direct messages to tell this was not the place and time. I will do that if anyone gets on that soap box. Trust me I do not want a world without vaccines. I have never even thought about going down the chelation path. I look forward to amazing day of potential change.

• 8 HCN // Dec 21, 2008 at 10:28 am

Cry me a river. As I said your reputation preceeds you.

You have lots of building to do after burning lots of bridges due to your past behavior. Appointing yourself a moderator and spamming lots of blogs does not help your case.

Some of us have been working for years and years to make sure our kids have proper educational supports with appropriate therapies like speech, OT/PT, and real medical interventions for real medical issues (like my son’s seizures).

Then all of our efforts are belittled by folks pushing the “vaccines are dangerous” and silly therapies like cranialsacral, supplements and others.

Tim whined ” I see my son in pain and frustration with no help.”

I would suggest you stop spamming (and whining) and go work in your local area. That means working with your local school district, donating and volunteering for places like Rite Care (used to be the Scottish Rite Center for Childhood Language Disorders) and working on legislation in your own state. I’ve done that, you can do.

There is help available, you just have to know where it is (we started by a referrel from our family doctor to a clinic at the local Children’s Hospital, followed by the school district, where we heard about Rite Care). And you have to not belittle the efforts of the well trained therapists at those places (which what happens to a speech therapist friend who has had parents claim their children’s progress was from some bio-medical crap and totally ignoring the hours of FREE speech therapy she provided the child through the public preschool the child was enrolled in!).

• 9 Autism Blog - Another hit job from AoA « Left Brain/Right Brain // Jan 21, 2010 at 5:24 pm

[...] diseases – doesn’t it seem these people would want allies in the media? But here is AoA attacking veteran New York Times science writer Don McNeil in December, 2008, over a book review that was [...]