Larry King Live’s program featuring anti-vaccine activists Jenny McCarthy, Stan Kurtz and J.B. Handley, originally scheduled for today, has been postponed. In the meanwhile, you can let the show’s producers know what questions you would like to hear McCarthy, Handley and Kurtz answer. You can email your questions and comments to: email@example.com .
Here are some suggestions:
Dear Mr. King:
As well intentioned as you may be, you are not doing children any favors when you invite Jenny McCarthy and her friends to spread misinformation about vaccines and autism. McCarthy’s most basic claims are unsupportable, and her statements about vaccine ingredients are demonstrably false. But that has not discouraged some in the news and entertainment media from handing McCarthy unchallenged public forums to repeat her baseless allegations.
If you do invite McCarthy back, could you please ask her some challenging questions so that parents can better decide if she is qualified to speak for them? Here are a few that come to mind:
- Who is your medical science adviser? Did he/she tell you that vaccines contain anti-freeze and ether?
- How do you define “recovery” from autism?
- When you refer to the “explosion” in autism diagnoses over the last 25 years, are you referring to autistic disorder only, or all pervasive development disorders?
- Most of today’s 3-5 year olds have never received a vaccine containing thimerosal. So why haven’t ASD diagnoses fallen among that cohort?
- Formaldehyde is a natural bi-product of single carbon metabolism, and the quantities found in an infant’s blood are several times greater than what is contained in any five pediatric vaccines combined. Why do you believe that formaldehyde, in the quantities found in vaccines, is harmful?
- Is Evan’s autism diagnosis medical or educational?
- How does Evan’s “recovery” from autism affect his status as an Indigo Child?
Questions for Mr. Kurtz:
- As a high school drop out, are you concerned that you may not have the necessary science education and background to fully appreciate the complexities of immunology, pediatric neurology, toxicology, and other scientific disciplines?
- What is the status of DAN!’s relationship with the American Academy of Pediatrics? Are you still optimistic that unproven bio-medical treatments for autism will soon go “mainstream”?
Questions for Mr. Handley:
- You recently wrote in the comment section of a skeptical science blogger that the other side is winning, since most research dollars are going to projects that are unsupported by groups such as Generation Rescue. Why has the mainstream science community so roundly rejected your claims?
- Why have you never offered solid proof that children have “recovered” from autism? How do you define recovery?
- You claim that the symptoms of autism are nearly identical to the symptoms of mercury poisoning. It is well documented that fetal exposure to mercury leads to microcephaly in infants. But in autism, head and brain sizes are larger than in neurotypical infants. How do you explain this?
Please do the autism community a favor and show some skepticism.